Undergraduate Academic Programs under Autonomy
What is the System of Autonomy?
An autonomous institution, has the freedom to determine its own courses and syllabi, to evolve innovative methods of evaluation and to conduct its own examinations as a means of achieving higher standards and greater creativity in the field of education. St. Joseph’s College for Women follows the system of autonomy conferred on the college by the UGC in 1987 in recognition of its excellence in providing education to young women. The College has successfully completed 25 years of Autonomy with a number of programs in 2012-2013.
Every undergraduate student of the college who completes the course successfully will, however, be awarded the Degree by Andhra University, with the name of St. Joseph’s College for Women (Autonomous).
St. Joseph’s College for Women (Autonomous), follows the Semester pattern requiring six Semesters of study for the Bachelor’s Degree, each Semester being of 18 weeks duration, approximately. Courses are classified as Foundation Courses, Core Courses and Choice based Interdisciplinary Electives.
Foundation Courses and Core Courses are obligatory for all students. Foundation Courses include General English, Second Language (Telugu/ Hindi / French/ Sanskrit) and General Education Courses. Choice based Interdisciplinary electives and career electives are part of General Education. Choice based core electives are also offered by some Departments. Interdisciplinary Electives are those, which a student can choose from among several such courses offered by various Departments.
Undergraduate Courses: (Semester System)
The courses offered in the college are Three Year B.A., B.Com, B.Sc. & B.Sc. Home Science Courses. The UG Program comprises two parts.
PART I : Foundation Courses
a) General English
b) Telugu / Hindi / French / Sanskrit
a) Human values Professional Ethics
b) Communication Skills -I
c) Communication Skills -II
d) Communication Skills - III
e) Information & Communication Technology - I
f) Information & Communication Technology - II
g) Analytical Skills
h) Environmental Studies
i) Entrepreneurship Education
j) Leadership Education
PART II – Core Courses
1. History, Economics, Political Science
2. * English Language & Literature, Psychology, English Office Management.
3. *English Language & Literature, Psychology, Journalism and Mass Communication
4. English, Economics, Political Science
5. Commerce, Economics, Management studies
B.Com : Bachelor of Commerce
B.B.A : Bachelor of Business Administration
1. Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
2. Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science
3. Mathematics, Economics, Computers
4. Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science
5. Chemistry, Botany, Zoology
6. *Bio – Technology, Bio – Chemistry & Chemistry
1. *Home Science (with Computer Applications)
*Summer internship is compulsory
Home Science Course includes 3 core subjects
Core I - Nutrition
Core II - Human Development
Core III - Resource Management.
Many more interesting subjects like Physiology, BioChemistry / History of Costume Design, Microbiology / Hygiene & Public Health, Basic Research Methodology, and Entrepreneurship Development / Project Work are included making in the course Wholistic
Procedure of Admission
- Separate Application forms for Degree-Arts and Degree- Science can be obtained from the college office on payment of Rs.200 /-
- Application for each combination must be made on separate forms.
- All correspondence should be addressed to The Principal, St.Joseph’s College for Women (Autonomous), Gnanapuram, Visakhapatnam – 530 004.
- Application without the Metric/I.C.S.E./S.S.C/C.B.S.E. marks sheet will not be considered.
- Applicants eligible for interview will receive Phone Call and this selection will be valid only up to the date mentioned. Those who do not receive any communication from the College should understand that they are not selected.
Selected candidates should pay the prescribed fees not later than the date mentioned on the Interview Call and produce the following Certificates in Original and Xerox Copy.
- Transfer and Conduct Certificate.
- Intermediate/Matriculation/I.C.S.E. /C.B.S.E. Certificate.
- Statement of Marks and Pass Certificate.
- Migration Certificate of other than SSC Board
- One copy of latest passport-size photograph.
- Photo copy of Caste, Aadhar and Income Certificate.
- An undertaking that the students will not take up any fulltime Job / Course (9 AM to 4 PM) during their course of study in the College.
- A certificate of Physical Fitness from a certified Medical Practitioner.
The Term Fees will NOT be refunded if a student leaves the college once she has been enrolled and her name entered in the College Records.